About the Vegetable Production Manager position: The position is for vegetable production only but we do raise our own animals and bees as well. Some crossover is likely but will be limited. Responsible for planning, coordinating, and directing the operation of vegetable production and its specialized subordinate and related units such as garden, field, fruit, parterre, growing houses, and perennial crops. Daily supervision and direction of farm staff. Development, implementation, and maintenance of the quality standards for the farm to ensure optimal productivity and adherence to brand standards.
Full Time; Year Round; Salary; Benefits; 401K; Cell Phone; Housing may be available to the right candidate; Position to start immediately
Duties & Responsibilities: May be described as, but not limited to…
- Work with the owner and general manager to develop an annual strategic plan for the vegetable production.
- Plan, develop, and direct the operations of major farming functions such as herbs, fruit, flowers, perennial and seasonal crops and greenhouse.
- Coordinate and make recommendations for improvements, land preparation, irrigation, fertilizing, planting crops, cultivation, and harvesting.
- Determine soil use and rotation of crops.
- Requisition equipment and materials; approve work schedules.
- Identify staff development and training needs and ensure that training is obtained.
- Work with Human Resources team to develop and grow internship programs.
- Ensure proper labor relations and conditions of employment are maintained.
- Maintain records, prepare reports, and compose correspondence relative to work.
- Maintain open communication with owner, general manager, Chefs, and Accounting team.
- Perform related work as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, methods, and techniques of practical farm management.
- Ability to keep records of time, production, and costs, and to make reports and recommendations for improvement in methods and equipment.
- Thorough knowledge of soils, crops, and farm building and equipment care and maintenance, knowledge of drip irrigation maintenance and supplies.
- Ability to manage the use of materials and equipment efficiently and economically.
- Knowledge of greenhouse maintenance and management.
- Ability to supervise subordinate staff, including but not limited to, assignment of duties, evaluating work progress and taking disciplinary action when necessary.
- Ability to multi-task and lead by example.
- Most work tasks are performed outdoors. Must be able to work outside for long hours in the peak of summer heat and winter cold performing various tasks including physical labor.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds regularly.
- Must be knowledgeable and able to maintain all safety and health regulations.
- High school or equivalent education required.
- Minimum five years agricultural experience involving farm planning, methods, and production; and experience in supervisory farm work; or any equivalent combination of training and experience is required. Experience with sustainable or organic farming is desired.
- All employees must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance per Beach Plum Farm standards. Minimum uniform standards met and enforced.
Please email questions and/or cover letter & resume to Christina Albert at email@example.com.