Looking for a winter warmer that satisfies and keeps those icy winds at bay? This creamy and delicious option from our own Chef Todd is one of our favorites. Pick up your butternut squash at Beach Plum Farm’s market open 8am-3pm Saturdays and Sundays this winter.
Chef Todd’s Butternut Squash Soup
1ea Large Butternut Squash
2 ea Yellow Onion, medium dice
4 ea Garlic Cloves, roughly chopped
½ C Olive Oil
½ C Cider Vinegar
¼ C Honey
1 C Heavy Cream
6 C Vegetable Stock
1 C Flour
2 Tb Salt
½ Tb Ground Black Pepper
2 tsp Ground Coriander
2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
¼ tsp Ground Nutmeg
¼ tsp Ground Cloves
1/8 tsp Ground Cayenne
- Cut butternut squash in half and lay face-down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Roast in 350°F oven for 30-45 minutes, until squash is tender and the edges have slightly caramelized.
- Allow to cool, remove and discard squash skin and reserve cooked squash.
- In a large pot, sauté onions and garlic in olive oil on medium heat, until onions are translucent.
- Add flour, salt, pepper and dry spices, and mix well.
- Slowly add vegetable stock and vinegar, and cooked squash while whisking.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, stir often to avoid burning.
- Mix in honey and heavy cream and remove from heat.
- Puree soup in a blender to finish.
- Always start blender on lowest speed while soup is hot, gradually increasing the speed until soup is smooth.